Zdravý Styl

One day I met a Korean friend in the city square.  She proceeded to as, "Would you like to go McDonald's or KFC for lunch?"

"Neither."

"But you're an American."

Such is one of the many conversations I've had about food in the Czech Republic.  Currently, I'm relaxing with a mug of scalding mint tea.  (The mug--borrowed from the communal dishes--features two geese.  The female goose looks posh in her violet bonnet and the other is waving to an approaching car.  Behind them, a parasol leans against a leather suitcase, a hat box, and a cloth bundle.)
Before I started so deeply pondering my mug, I was in the kitchen, peeling carrots and making white bean dip.  Last week I finally pulled out the old hummus recipe and thoroughly enjoyed the familiar taste.

Such endeavors mark a  significant change in my eating patterns during my time here.  The revolution occurred at Tesco (an international grocery/merchandise retailer).  There, equipped with a budget and Christmas sales, I invested in some essential kitchenware.  I returned home with shiny mixing bowls and pots and proudly made my hummus--using Tahini from a local gluten-free store.

Plain carrots and lettuce, Garbanzo beans, millet, tofu, and
vegetable stock with parsley and oats.
Prior to this "cooking" breakthrough, my diet here had consisted of ample fruits, veggies, and nuts complemented by boiled eggs or deli-style turkey or chicken on some whole grain bread.  The common denominator: minimal preparation.  All in all, such choices were not too bad, but not too varied either.  The repetition made me thankful for the occasional lunches at Slunečnice, a vegetarian restaurant near the conservatory where I teach.  Many of you might not find their cuisine too appetizing, but I'll still satisfy your curiosity with a photo (left).





gluten-free symbol here
The place is cafeteria style.  They list their daily menu options, handwritten on card stock.  Considering my health food vocabulary is a bit limited, I typically make a blind choice and I've been pretty satisfied.  Often there are also oats or beet included in the meal.  I have heard lovely things about their pastries, but I have yet to try them.  I have, however, tried the gluten-free pastries at the health food store around the corner, called Zdravý Styl ("healthy style").  They have an ample supply of different grains and pastas, including quinoa and couscous among others. With the aid of this health-food store, I hope for even more positive developments in my diet here.

Comments

Popular Posts